Common Poisons for Boston Terriers

Posted by

Many common items found around the house can poison your Boston Terrier.  Some common poisons for Boston Terriers are listed in the article below from healthypets.

A poisoning can mean a life-or-death emergency for your pet, a traumatic experience for family members, and a significant hit to your credit card or bank account.

All for a situation that is entirely preventable.

Medicine Belongs in the Medicine Cabinet

According to the ASPCA, household pets are most commonly poisoned by the following ten human medications:

Methylphenidate (for ADHD)
Fluorouracil (for Cancer)

Isoniazid (for Tuberculosis)
Vitamin D derivatives
Baclofen (muscle relaxant)

Not only should you store all your medications, and your pet’s, out of reach of your dog or cat, you must also be careful not to leave loose pills on a countertop or table within reach of a curious animal.

Also take care to retrieve any slippery pills that drop on the floor, and clean up liquid spills right away.

Learn Which People Foods and Drinks are Hazardous to Your Pet

Chocolate, coffee and other products containing caffeine are at the top of the list. These food and drink items contain methylxanthines, stimulants that are toxic to your dog or cat.

Any alcoholic drink or food containing alcohol can make your pet very ill and can even be fatal.

Intentional vitamin D administration to pets has also caused toxicity. People have wrongly assumed their pets are as deficient as many people. Most commercial pet foods have very high levels of vitamin D added, so additional supplementation has caused vet visits for many pets.

Walnut fruit (the nut encased raw fruit that falls from trees) and macadamia nuts are toxic for dogs. Peanut allergies are as dangerous in canines as they are in people, so it’s a good idea to keep peanuts out of reach of your pup as well.

Other foods toxic to pets include:

Avocado pits, which are especially dangerous for birds and rodents
Grapes and raisins, which can cause kidney failure
Onions, garlic, and chives, which causes hemolytic anemia

View the source

More than 2 years ago, my Rose the Boston Terrier became very sick.  Her gums were yellow, she was cranky and listless.  We took her to the vet and they told us that she was very sick with anemia (later we learned it was the hemolytic anemia type).  I was told that she would need a transfusion.  Rose had probably eaten some garlic tablets that were commonly in the house at the time.  I called back in the morning after leaving Rose at the vet.  I expected bad news – that she had died.  But she was well on the way to recovery.  So learn the common poisons for Boston Terriers to avoid the problems that we had with our Rose the Boston Terrier.

Comments are closed.