BANNER

Salmon Poisoning in Boston Terriers

Posted by

Salmon fishing is a common hobby in many areas of the country.  If you go fishing you must prevent your dog from eating of your raw salmon.  Salmon poisoning in Boston Terriers can be deadly, but can prevented with prompt treatment.

 Fishing can be wonderful recreation, but sharing the catch with your dog can be an act of kindness that kills.

Salmon Poisoning Disease is a potentially fatal condition seen in dogs that eat certain types of raw fish. Salmon can be infected with a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola.

Generally clinical signs appear within six days of a dog eating an infected fish.

Common symptoms of salmon poisoning include:

vomiting
lack of appetite
fever
diarrhea
weakness
swollen lymph nodes
dehydration

If untreated, death usually occurs within fourteen days of eating the infected fish.

Thankfully, salmon poisoning is treatable if it’s caught in time. A key to its diagnosis is telling your veterinarian that your dog ate raw fish. If you have a dog that wanders, or raids trashcans and you are unsure of what it’s eaten; consider the possibility of salmon poisoning.

Given the severity of the condition, treatment is relatively simple. Your veterinarian will prescribe an antibiotic and a “wormer”. The antibiotic kills the rickettsial organisms that cause the illness, and the wormer kills the parasite. If the dog is dehydrated, intravenous fluid are given. Once treatment has been started, most dogs show dramatic improvement within two days.

View the source

I have never seen salmon poisoning in Boston Terriers, but as I grew in the Pacific Northwest, I heard of several dogs that died of it  If you know of any cases of salmon poisoning in dogs,  please comment below.


Comments are closed.